R: [GRASS-dev] WinGRASS Plans

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Tue Jun 10 16:20:55 EDT 2008

Hy Glynn,

did you ever estimated the speed of the Python GUI Vs a generic compiled
GUI?

On my old Notebook (AMD Athlon64 3000+, 1.25 GB RAM DDR, integrated NVIDIA
GPU with shared 64 MB VRAM) I noticed that, very often, just opening a
module GUI or a dialoge window caused the system to freeze for a while (XP
Pro SP2, 32bit, very well maintained). This said, all the other GUI parts,
such as the GIS Layer Manager and the Map Display, always worked very well,
and never (maybe rarely) freezed.

Is that because the GUI is interpreted or is it only a Windows problem?
actually, many Windows native application GUIs frequently freeze, even if
they are compiled and not interpreted GUIs...

Thanks for your precious explanations, as always.. :-)

Marco