[GRASS-dev] cell_misc

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 03:23:18 EDT 2008

Yann Chemin wrote:
> I am generating 60,000 maps from 60,000 original ones
>  (shell script looping r.mapcalc),
>
> it says unable to create mapset element cell_misc $filename

cell_misc/ saves each map's data in a subdirectory, not a file like the other raster element directories.  is this in a ext3 partition?

can you break it up into mapsets of ~ 10k maps each, linked by g.mapsets search path? (thus < 32768 subdirectories/cell_misc)

> Since it is a (very) long process, I would like to know if
> I should stop it now, or if it is not impacting of maps and
> data?

I think NULL data will be missing, if that is important to you.
is it possible to stop where you are now and modify the script to restart it where it left off? or are later steps dependent on earlier?

it is sometimes nice to write variables to a small text file or so as it runs so you can "reseed" the second half of the calculation from an arbitrary point without having to rerun the first.

?
Hamish