[GRASS-dev] 2D to 3D points

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 18:19:49 EST 2008

Benjamin wrote:
> > As far as I am aware, the term "extrusion" is pretty well defined
> > as the operation of extending an object in 3D space by "pulling
> > it out" with a predefined bearing and length. This would convert a
> > point to a line, a line to a plane and a polygon to, well, a
> > polygon with a volume, I guess.
> >
> > Personally, I'd be more in favour of wrapping a little script
> > "v.points.to.3d" around v.transform. For the beginners' sake.

Dylan:
> Well from that 'angle' I think that it makes sense not to use
> v.extrude.
> v.points.to.3d seems like a fine choice.

'til now we have manged to keep the "."s in official modules to a max
of two.

see previous discussion:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/13714
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/13739

v.to.3dpoints or v.points.3d?

It doesn't match v.to.rast,v.to.rast3 naming, but I think v.to.points3
would make it too close to v.to.points which is another task
completely.
But it is not so far from what v.to.rast3 does, so maybe not so bad.
(shrug)

to get a nifty instant prefab wrapper script do:
  v.transform --script

Changing topic slightly, how about adding a -z flag to v.to.points for
3D lines? (no DB column involved)

Hamish