[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] How to find out an angle between to points on the map (for r.plane, r.lake)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 19:24:09 EST 2008

Martin Landa wrote:
> it would be good to use d.measure or something like g.measure in
> wxGUI too instead of using Python-based function for distance
> calculation (at least it would make sense for LL projections)?

Yes, we should use existing library functions whenever possible, in
this case those found in lib/gis/distance.c and lib/gis/geodist.c.

call it m.distance; I know g.* semi-officially stands for "general" but
if you look at the other g.* modules you will see that it could just as
well stand for "GIS management". From a non-interactive standpoint
"measure" doesn't make as much sense to me.

It would be very easy to write in C but from a learning exercise
perspective it seems like a perfect thing to try doing with
SWIG+Python, and perhaps too simple a thing to have as a generic
module??

Hamish