[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r30420 - grass/trunk/scripts/v.db.renamecol

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 18:16:08 EST 2008

Maciej:
[thanks for the cat != key fix; not mentioned as it was all fine...]

> >  resulted in a speed boost. In the end, v.db.renamcol without
> > awk is as fast as it was with awk.

Markus:
> At this point I don't see why do this effort.
> There is the risk to introduce new bugs (as seen here) and
> there is no point in saving 7% of 10 nanoseconds. Since
> awk is needed in GRASS it can also be used here.
>
> Why not using efforts for more important things?

just a thought on the other side of the coin: it is nice to have
reference code to copy from once we all figure out best practices. I
think the issue is similar to removing redundant `cat`s. maybe it's
pedantic but it makes us better next time we have to write a script--
as long as it is done for self education and not for useless 'OMG!
wasted 2ns!' crusades.

Hamish