[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #77: Change wxGui workspace file extension away from .grc

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Mar 4 00:45:10 EST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 9:49 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 04:38:22 -0000
> From: "GRASS GIS" <trac at osgeo.org>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #77: Change wxGui workspace file
> 	extension away from .grc
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>
> #77: Change wxGui workspace file extension away from .grc
> ---------------------
> +------------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  hamish   |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>      Type:  task     |      Status:  new
>  Hi,
>
>  before releasing 6.3.0 we should change wxGui workspace file
> extension
>  away from .grc as it is incompatible with older GRASS tcl/tk .grc
> files.
>
>  some suggestions from the -dev list:
>    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/24737/
> focus=24934
>
>  but nothing decided.

I relooked at the discussion. I don't have particularly strong
feelings one way or the other. But if you need a decision, I'd favor
either *.gws (GRASS workspace) or *.gwsf (GRASS workspace file)

I did a search on a couple of file extension sites. *.gwsf did not
exist and *.gws was found on only one site. It was listed as a
GeoMedia (Intergraph) geoworkspace file format.

So I guess we'd be wise to steer clear of *.gws. But *.gwsf seems fine.

Anyone have any objection to *.gwsf?

Michael