[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS: Xerces-C and Expat under MingW

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Mar 4 10:54:16 EST 2008

OK, compiling GDAL with Xerces-C and Expat works, with
some minor tweaks.

1. MinGW's Win32 API (3.11) collides with a function definition in
GDAL. Just move it out of the way:

Open ogr/ogrsf_frmts/ili/iom/iom_utilities.cpp and rename the _searchenv
() function so it does not collide with MinGW's own version. Change the
line (ca. 67):

static void _searchenv(const char *name, const char *envname, char *hitfile)

to:

static void _searchenv2(const char *name, const char *envname, char *hitfile)

2. As Marco suspected, libexpat.dll.a needs to be
present in /usr/lib (or wherever you keep your MinGW
libs), so not a good idea to delete it.
(still have to find my way out of the DLL hell ...)

Now I would like to work on the SWIG Python and Perl bindings
for GDAL. Does anyone have experience with those on MinGW?

Best,

Benjamin

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I'm afraid that you're doing that work right now, and not a week before :-)
> because I just released a new MSYS GRASS environment, while it would be
> perfect to also add Xerces and Expat support to both GDAL and GRASS
> (only Xerces)
> it will be on the next time
>
> anyway I'm not sure about Expat; did you read this?
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingWithMinGW
>
> the libexpat.dll.a is the import static library used while building the
> shared one; it is used (with the -lexpat.dll istruction) while building
> executables
> but I hope to fail and you're right ;-)
>
> Marco

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES