[GRASS-dev] winGRASS Self Installer Package

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 6 01:03:28 EST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:50 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:58:56 +0100
> From: "Marco Pasetti" <marco.pasetti at alice.it>
> Subject: [GRASS-dev] winGRASS Self Installer Package
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm preparing a winGRASS self installer package, but I'm not sure
> about what
> files include in the package from PostgreSQL and SQLite install;
> Since now I included only libpq.dll (for PostgreSQL) and
> libsqlite3-0.dll
> (for SQLite); unfortunately I'm not able to use database
> instructions in
> GRASS, so I cannot know if some files are required or not! While
> SQLite is a
> very light utility (for all files), PostgreSQL requires lot of
> space (quite
> 30 MB!!!) for a complete inclusion in a GRASS self contained package.
>
> Can someone help me, please?
>
> Marco

Marco,

First of all, I want to express my thanks on behalf of students here
who are using GRASS on Windows. It is wonderful that you are doing
this. (aside: Thanks also to Moritz and Glynn for showing us the way
to achieve a WinGRASS package and for helping on this one).

My suggestion is that you include SQLite but not PostgreSQL. This way
users have access to a pretty full-featured SQL dbms if they want it,
a simpler dbf table format if that is all they need, and don't have
the overhead of PostgreSQL.

Michael