[GRASS-dev] Re: GUI support for TclTk 8.5

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Mar 9 19:01:58 EDT 2008

On Mar 8, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

>> For 8.5 it apparently mostly works, if it is just a few little issues
>> which are not so hard to fix, then we should try and solve them.
>> i.e. we should at least look into 8.5 problems, it is probably just
>> 1-5
>> lines of code to be adjusted, and that's not a huge drain on
>> development resources.
>
> You are right that fixing issues is probably pretty simple. It's
> figuring out what to fix that is time consuming. Right now, I'm
> heavily overcommitted timewise. And on top of that, I'm using my
> laptop (primary development box) for my GIS class and can't afford
> to have GRASS broken for more than a couple days. So I have no
> problem in theory, fixing the GUI for 8.5 if it doesn't involve NVIZ
> internals or something like that, but won't have time to do much for
> awhile.
>
> Michael

Some initial tests for TclTk 8.5.1 on OSX.

10.4/Tiger: the GUI runs and seems to work properly.  NVIZ won't run -
with Spearfish:

"
nviz elev=elevation.10m

alloc: invalid block: 0x5202b4: 61 0 0

[2]+ Abort trap
"

Even just "nviz --help" gives that alloc error.

10.5/Leopard: won't run at all.  There appears to be some problem
between Leopard's fontconfig/freetype and TclTk 8.5 (TclTk 8.4 works).

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004a620a FcConfigAddCache + 149
1   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004a63b8 FcConfigAddDirList + 157
2   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004a6471 FcConfigBuildFonts + 123
3   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004b1dc0 FcInitLoadConfigAndFonts
+ 45
4   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004b1e0c FcInit + 41
5   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004a650a FcConfigGetCurrent + 30
6   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004a8302
FcConfigSubstituteWithPat + 25
7   libfontconfig.1.dylib         	0x004a8a07 FcConfigSubstitute + 39
8   libtk8.5.dylib                	0x001c3613 InitFont + 72

(This is 32bit mode.  In 64bit mode it made it into freetype before
crashing.)

Unfortunately, I think tcltk/X11 on OSX is forced to used the X11
freetype/fontconfig build, instead of the one I configure for GRASS
(my freetype framework).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro