[GRASS-dev] how to start wx vdigit?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Mar 9 20:23:23 EDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 2:16 PM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 19:26:39 +0100
> From: "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] how to start wx vdigit?
> To: "William Kyngesburye" <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com>
> Cc: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>,	GRASS developers list
> 	<grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> there currently two ways
>
> 1) add vector map layer into the layer tree, right click and from
> contextual menu choose 'Start editing'
>
> 2) select in Map display window toolbar 'Digitize' (the last tool in
> the toolbar), then from enabled vdigit toolbar choose vector map layer
> you want to edit (this map must be present the current layer tree). I
> remember there was bug on Mac connected to wxComboBox inside wxToolbar
> instance. So maybe you cannot see these comboboxes in the toolbars.
> Then first way should work for you.
>
> Martin

I can't say what William is seeing with OS X 10.5, but with 10.4 and
current wxPython binaries, method #2 does not work on a Mac. This is
because of a bug in the wxPython code that prevents a control from
showing in a menubar using AUI. I reported it to the wxPython/
wxWidgets bug list months ago. I just got a message on Friday
indicating that this has just been fixed in the wxWidgets source
tree. There may also a suggested workaround (that I haven't tried)
that involves setting wx.MAC_USE_NATIVE_TOOLBAR=0. I'm not positive
it is fixed because this bug report was mixed with another bug. But
it seems to be.

Michael