[GRASS-dev] Re: GUI support for TclTk 8.5

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Mar 10 06:50:23 EDT 2008

OK, I have checked a little bit for documentation on how to use
the new, more "native-looking" widgets on TclTk8.5.

Documentation is sparse, to say the least.
It appears that using the new widgets would essentially mean rewriting
large parts of the GUI code:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/15443

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a drop-in replacement for
the old, ugly widgets.

Thus, updating the TclTk support to make use of the cool new 8.5
look & feel would force us to create an 8.5 branch and maintain it.

Of course, other new things, such as increased speed would come
for free ...

As far as NVIZ is concerned: it freezes and crashes all over the
place if started from the MSYS shell. I have yet to narrow down the
problems a bit more.

Benjamin

Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
>
>> Maybe this would help on windows as well? Currently, you have to install
>> tcltk 8.4, to get nviz working
>
> Really? NVIZ with Tcl/Tk 8.5.0 on Windows works fine for me, as I've
> already reported to the list several times. Benjamin reported that it
> hung for him when adding a vector points layer, but I have no problem
> with that. Is there maybe a problem with 8.5.1?
>
> However, in a bit of further testing this morning I've discovered a new
> error that appears from different sources:
>
> couldn't duplicate input handle: bad file number
>   while executing
> "exec $src_boot/bin/g.gisenv GISBASE"
>   (procedure "Nv_makeGUI" line 13)
>   invoked from within
> "Nv_makeGUI.top"
>   (file
> "s:/grass/trunk/dist.i686-pc-mingw32\etc\nviz2.2\scripts\nviz2.2_script"
> line 1025)
>
> But the same error occurs in other places too - notably the call to
> g.gisenv in grass_file_name{} in mapBrowser.tcl. So I think it is some
> general Windows issue (possibly also related to Tcl 8.5). Maybe it's a
> Tcl bug or maybe the calls to exec need to be organised in a different way.
>
> No more time to look into it right now but the next thing I'd like to do
> would be to check the Tcl release notes/changelog for any changes
> related to Win32 pipes handling, and maybe try the same thing twith 8.5.1
>
> Paul

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES