[GRASS-dev] db.connect database= parameter is null

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 12:19:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Martin Landa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yes, see
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/7

Also I posted a suggested solution to the dev list a while ago, but there
were no comments.

> It seems to me that the VAR file should defined for newly created
> mapset by default to avoid possible problems.

For every mapset, or just for each location? If for every mapset, should
it be inherited from whatever the setting for PERMANENT is, or just
blindly set to dbf every time a new mapset is created? If it does have to
be created for every mapset and inherited from PERMANENT, presumably the
state of the DB connection for PERMANENT can't be determined without using
Vectlib functions? But all the mapset/location-handling functions are in
GISlib, and it would really not be a good idea to have GIS dependent on
Vectlib functions (I think). So this is really quite complicated. Perhaps
the functions that deal with the default database settings could be moved
out of Vectlib and into GISlib.

Paul