Re[GRASS-dev] ady to help with GRASS graphics

Robert Szczepanek grass at szczepanek.pl
Thu Mar 13 13:41:46 EDT 2008

Wolf Bergenheim wrote:

> On 03/12/2008 11:15 AM, Robert Szczepanek wrote:
>> Yes, your opinion could help me a lot.
>> My doubt is related to basic icon size.
>> Popular standards for toolbars are 16x16px [SMALL], 24x24 [MEDIUM] and
>> 32x32
>> [LARGE].
>
>> Looking at total number of icons and icons for certain commands group the
>> best solution seems to be 24x24.
>> Is it acceptable from i/ coding (TclTk,
>> wxpython) ii/ general Grass layout point of view?
>
> I think 24x24 icons are good, as they seem to be used. Better yet, make
> them in SVG so we can later render them into different sizes.
> --Wolf

First draft is on my web page
http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/
I have only TclTk interface at the moment to check how it works.

I use Corel (Draw->PhotoPaint) to make icons, but conversion to raster is
not just the matter of icon size.
[http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2007/07/11/icon_design/]

In the meantime two things should be decided:
1. gis iconic language
[http://turbomilk.com/truestories/cookbook/usability/designing-an-iconic-language/]
For this point draft primitives of gis objects (layer, raster, vector map,
mapset, etc.) should be prepared for public discussion. Give me few days to
prepare it. If you have already your favorites, please let me/us know.

2. grass icon groups to avoid unnecessary elements in icons [see #3 in
http://turbomilk.com/truestories/cookbook/criticism/10-mistakes-in-icon-design/]

Robert