[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS-6.3.0RC5 Self Installer

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Fri Mar 14 05:25:59 EDT 2008

Hi all,

sorry for the late, I'm really drowning in workflows...

>I don't think this is an appropriate answer.

I'm really afraid, I didn't want to give a "bad" answer! I apologise if I did something wrong!

>to just
shrug it off this way is not the way to go.

again, I'm afraid, but sometimes my *english* fails, specially on late hours, when I'm tired and not enough focused on what I'm doing... but I did'nt want to shrug it off *that* way, I just meant to say that I'm absolutely NOT an expert in the matter of licenses, software rights, and so on... so I couldn't really reply or discuss on the matter! I just execute what you suggest....

>Also, just to correct things a bit, this was discussed before, offlist:

actually, I completely missed it, sorry! probably, when I prepared the msys environment package, before to compile installer, I just thought that everything was done... I forgot that part of the mail. I apologise.

>Again, I agree with Glynn: if there is a problem let's try to fix it and
not circumvent it. Your great installer will help a lot in getting
people to install and test GRASS on windows, but if we already force
such "solutions" on them, they will not be able to correctly detect the
problem. Is there a way of just making the installer print a warning,
instead of breaking off the installation procedure.

I decided to force a "working installation" for the following reason: the aim of all this work is, obviously, to spread GRASS as most as possible, because there are a lot of Windows users out there... so, to convince them to use GRASS, we need to be sure that it will definetely work on their machines, because Windows users are not used to *test* software and report bugs... they just use it, and when it doesn't work (for many reasons, also because they didn't followed installation warnings, and they're used to) they just say: "I told you! opensource softwares are good only for listen music or let kids chat with friends! if you need it for your job, you must buy a commercial fully working release!"

This said, if you prefer to not have a *forced* installation, I'll prepare a *only warnings* one; just tell me what I have to do...

Marco