[GRASS-dev] backporting help for SVN

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Mar 26 22:57:10 EDT 2008

I backported some minor Mac-only bugfixes.  They have worked well for
me so far.  And I did manually apply them to my recent RC binaries,
and haven't heard of any problems.  A couple were build fixes, so they
would only affect those that compiled SVN source.

A pair I haven't done yet (ran out of time this morning), that are
companions to Glynn's r29926 and r30066, which were applied to the
release branch:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/30347
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/30704

These affect some lib/init stuff, but are important to return what
Glynn removed, in another form.  These also have worked well for me so
far, and are in my binaries, and no reports of problems yet.

Comments?

On Mar 26, 2008, at 5:44 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Markus:
>>> It depends: preferably a developer should be able to
>>> backport him/herself but
>>> - do not break the release branch
>>> - make tests
>>> - only fix bugs, do not introduce new features
>
> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> Thanks for the clarifications.  I'll go ahead with some backport
>> fixes.
>
> At this point in the RC cycle, it is best to play it very
> conservative as
> RC6 was most likely be the last before 6.3.0 and so any changes you
> make
> in the release branch will go into 6.3.0 with little to no community
> testing.
>

> Hamish

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy