[GRASS-dev] Current state of wxPython GUI

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Thu Mar 27 08:28:49 EDT 2008

Hi all,

FWIW, some observations on the wxPython GUI, running on a Ubuntu (7.10)
box with an SVN checkout from 10 minutes ago:

1. Starting "from" scratch, i.e. with no prior GRASS login and
no .grassrc6 file present, the wx GUI intro screen is dysfunctional.
It does not let you specify any mapsets in a GRASS DB directory.
The error message is:

    "Error in command execution g.mapset"
    Execution failed: 'g.mapset -l location=borkeld
    gisdbase=/home/benni/grass-db'

    Details:

    (empty)

I get this error when first browsing to the "GIS Data Directory" (not
sure this is a good name, as it seems very generic) and then selecting
any location name.
If I first start with the old Tcl/Tk GUI, then select a mapset there,
then logout and start with the wx GUI, things work fine.

2. Both wxGUI and the old gis.m crash on startup if the location does
not have any valid projection information. Is that really necessary?

3. Dragging any toolbars in the "Map Display" window of the wxpython GUI
makes it crash.

4. When starting with an empty "Layer Manager": after adding the first
layer (vector in my case), the "Map Display" does not draw anything when
clicking on the "Display map" icon. I need to click on "Re-render map".
This seems counter-intuitive to me.

... well, hope this will help smoothing out the wxpython GUI, as it sure
starts looking good!

Best,

Benjamin