[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #104: saving display to tiff or ppm garbled when NVIZ is not top window

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 28 15:46:51 EDT 2008

GRASS GIS wrote:
> #104: saving display to tiff or ppm garbled when NVIZ is not top window

> Comment (by msieczka):
>
>  Replying to [comment:11 glynn]:
>
>  > Oh, another thing to check: export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
>
>  Still crashes. Same debug output.

I don't have any other suggestions at this point.

FWIW, I've back-ported the pBuffer fixes to the 6.3.0 branch.

It would be useful if we could get as many people as possible to try
using the GLXPixmap and/or pBuffer code, and reporting success or
failure, along with their platform details (OS, X version(s), video
hardware, preferably xdpyinfo and glxinfo output).

For 6.3.0, these have to be specifically enabled by setting
GRASS_GLX_PBUFFERS and/or GRASS_GLX_PIXMAPS (the value is irrelevant,
they just need to be set) before starting NVIZ.

In the trunk version, they are enabled by default, and can be disabled
by setting GRASS_NO_GLX_PBUFFERS and/or GRASS_NO_GLX_PIXMAPS (to
anything).

Note that the pBuffer code requires GLX 1.3, which (AFAICT) is only
available with nVidia's OpenGL driver. If you don't have GLX 1.3,
setting GRASS_GLX_PBUFFERS has no effect.

If both pBuffers and GLXPixmaps are enabled and functional, pBuffers
are used; you'll need to explicitly disable pBuffers to test the
GLXPixmap case.