[GRASS-dev] Announcing libLAS

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat May 3 18:14:50 EDT 2008

Helena Mitasova wrote:
> High Mateus,
>
> we would love to see at least a direct input of LAS data into GRASS
> using the libLAS library! Other tools would be welcome too.

Helena,

That's great!

> Many general GRASS modules  are great for lidar data processing and
> analysis and there is also a set of specialized tools. But if the data
> come in LAS format we need to use external tools (e.g. LAStools - I see
> that libLAS is based on it) to convert to ascii and import (using
> v.in.ascii or r.in.xyz). Having a module that reads LAS data directly
> would be a great help.

Yes, it confirms what I've read in GRASS docs and Wiki pages,
that there is no direct support to ASPRS LAS format.

> I was just invited to USGS workshop to show some applications of lidar
> data done with open source software tools and I am sure that the first
> question I will get is whether GRASS can read LAS data - it would be
> great if I could say yes.

I'm willing to contribute a module for LAS read/write. However, I'm not
an experienced GRASS user nor developer, so I'll likely need to prepare
myself a little (read docs and code) before I can start. Means, I'm not
sure I can provide you with ready solution very soon.

> But this will raise a question for GRASS dev whether we want to add
> another dependency to GRASS in addition to GDAL and PROJ and a number of
> optional ones?

Right, that seems to be basic question.

If it will help to make a decision:
The libLAS building follows well-known *nix patterns and there is
autotools-based builder. Optionally, users are provided with cmake
configuration as well as project files for Visual C++ 2005.
The library itself has no external dependencies.

> Thanks for asking and I hope we will see LAS support in GRASS soon (I
> have plenty of data to test it),

I'd be happy if I could help.

--
Mateusz Loskot