[GRASS-dev] Are the recursive calls a problem in Grass?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 6 12:05:37 EDT 2008

On 5/6/08 9:00 AM, "grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org"
<grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea or an advice for this problem? GRASS doens't give me
> any kind of error message so I don't undestand where the bug is. It just stop
> the execution! I hope in your experience.

Roberto,

We are doing lots of recursive calls to GRASS modules in a series of module
and mapcalc commands to create a dynamic surface process model. This
calculates net erosion/deposition using Helena Mitasova's GRASS
implementation of the USPED (unit stream power erosion/deposition) model.
We've done a series of other support modules too. These are all found under
landyn in the GRASS addons section.

We've had no problem with recursion and the scripts run quickly.

Currently, they are in BASH scripts, but we are porting them to Python now.

Michael

> Regards,
> Roberto
> roberto caselli <roberto.caselli at yahoo.it> ha scritto: Hello everyone,
> I have a question for you. I'm working on a module that uses a recursive call
> to flow water from a cell to its neighbours. I tested it with some sample
> raster map but I didn't see any kind of output on the screen. I saw GRASS
> started running (i saw the green dressed runner above on the right) and then
> it stopped with the RUN button available to be pushed again.
>
> I tried to comment the recursive call and everything went well.  (I saw the
> partial results of the execution of my module on the screen).
>
> So I think the problem is due to this recursive call and I'd like to know if
> there is a way to fix this problem.
>
> Regards,
> Roberto

Director of Graduate Studies