R: [GRASS-dev] Reproject, change resolution and patch: doubts....

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Wed May 7 15:35:33 EDT 2008

Hi Helena,

Thanks for your reply.

>just a few notes. If you set the resolution to 20m, GRASS will resample
your 90m SRTM to 20m using nearest neighbor, creating a DEM with "steps" -
something line this (a) is automatic nn resampling, b) is reinterpolation by
rst) http://www.grassbook.org/gallery/chapters/s050303f010_resamp.jpg

Yes, yesterday I tried the described procedure and I noticed the same result
NVIZing the reprojected dem. BTW I don't need to produce 3D maps, but I need
to introduce the less data distorsion as possible. The NN method should do
the job for me. I'm not sure that an interpolation would be a good solution,
but I talk with a strict mathematic/electronic approach, that's my
professional training; probably, talking about topography, interpolations
rarely produce remarkable errors.

This said, I prefer the 20m data, against the SRTM ones, because I analyzed
a very well known (small) area with NVIZ, using both SRTM and 20m data, and
I noticed relevant errors with SRTM data (I cannot pretend much from it,
it's a SAR shuttle mission... it's actually a miracle that we have it, that
it works pretty fine and that is free).

Summarizing:
1) r.proj method=nearest
2) r.resamp.rst