[GRASS-dev] Question on r.grow 'metrics' parameters

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 00:42:21 EDT 2008

Helena:
> I found some of the metrics explained in wikipedia under
> Taxicab geometry

see  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/2330/

with manhattan AFAIU you can go crosstown or up/downtown but not diagonally through sky-scrapers.

(ignoring the mess of cobblestones below 14th st + broadway :)

Eric:
> > I was wondering if anyone could describe, or point me
> to a link of,
> > the various r.grow metrics parameter definitions:
> euclidian,
> > maximum, and manhattan.
> >
> > Also, are the comments regarding how r.grow decides how to grow
> > between two equally eligible cells here
> (http://www.nabble.com/-GRASSLIST%3A7611--r.grow-to8629593.html#a8629593)
> still valid? I
> > would like to add this information to the docs, and AFAICS, main.c
> > hasn't changed much since Glynn's last edit
> > 21505 back in late November, 2006.

don't know. but beware there was r.grow and r.grow2 which worked differently.

Hamish