[GRASS-dev] [Fwd: [DebianGIS] Freezing is not so far in the future, aka Where 1.0]

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun May 18 15:53:58 EDT 2008

FYI
pc

-------- Messaggio Originale  --------
Oggetto: [DebianGIS] Freezing is not so far in the future, aka Where 1.0
Data: Mon, 12 May 2008 20:45:19 +0200
Da: Francesco P. Lovergine <frankie at debian.org>
A: pkg-grass-general at lists.alioth.debian.org

Hi all

This message is a very informal and incomplete report about
our Status of the Map.

I would remind that package freezing is roughly expected in mid July.

People is warmly invited to think ASAP what upstream versions should go into
Lenny. Two months are not a so long time in the future and please
consider that our packages have a not so large user base for testing.
Many packages also have a quite long dependencies chain which could
slow down britney job. So be very careful and defensive in uploading
new versions.

There will be the possibility of uploading GDAL 1.5.2 (probably), hdf5
1.6.7 and
hdf4 4.2r1 for lenny. IMHO grass is already frozen (but for a probable
6.3.0 preview version to be uploaded in parallel with the stable
release). It would be nice to know if we have already to consider
frozen PostGis and Mapserver, but for some minor adjustment.
If people had to point patches for known upstream issues it would
be great.

Finally, we are still lacking human resources. Which is not a news
for this project, but I can see the same problems in other
teams, such as the Tcl/Tk group, sigh. We are in a bit better status
than one year ago anyway. I would prefer that some folks who
anyway do some packaging efforts out there in the GIS world would
collaborate here. But hey, we are in a free world and I know
that Debian standars are quite high and demanding ...

Happy gis-hacking to all

--
Francesco P. Lovergine

Paolo Cavallini, see: * http://www.faunalia.it/pc *