[GRASS-dev] v.overaly - slow

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri May 23 12:39:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

I need to split one big vector file (200MB Shapefile) to several
smaler tiles , so it is more usable for mapserver, and I wrote a small
script v.mktiles, which should split big vector file into several
tiles (attached):

 Splits large vector map into several tiles with associated attribute table

Usage:
 v.mktiles [-c] input=name [type=string] prefix=name columns=value
   rows=value [--overwrite] [--verbose] [--quiet]

Flags:
  -c   Make a copy for attribute table for each tile
 --o   Allow output files to overwrite existing files
 --v   Verbose module output
 --q   Quiet module output

Parameters:
    input   Name of input vector map
     type   Input map type
            default: line
   prefix   Prefix for output vector maps
  columns   Resulting number of columns
            default: 2
     rows   Resulting number of rows
            default: 2

When the input file is relatively small (spearfish roads), it works fine:

GRASS> v.mktiles in=roads pref=cest columns=2 rows=2 type=line --o

but when I try to run it on file with 155754 isolines, it took an
hour, and even the first tile was not generated

so, my question: is there such script already (maybe something in
GDAL/OGR package, which I missed)? Isn't there any big mistake in my
script?

If desired, in the future the script should take output from v.mkgrid as well

Thanks

Jachym
--
Jachym Cepicky