[GRASS-dev] nviz debugging

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 29 12:37:32 EDT 2008

Martin Landa wrote:

> is there a way how to debug C part of NVIZ (or other hybrid app like
> v.digit) using gdb (e.g. from emacs)? I have taken a look at
> doc/debugging.txt, but I didn't find way how to debug these programs.

You can't invoke gdb directly on "nviz" or $GISBASE/bin/nviz, as that
is a shell script. But it's a trivial script which essentially just does:

$GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/nviz -f $GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script ${1+"$@"}

You can debug the $GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/nviz binary as with any other
program, i.e.:

	$ gdb $GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/nviz
	> run -f $GISBASE/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script <any args>

Or, if you don't need to debug the startup, you can start NVIZ then
"attach" to the process, as suggested by Markus.