[GRASS-dev] anyone interested in helping to port an algorithm from matlab?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:05:53 EST 2008

Hi,

I was taking another look on a paper published in Computers and GeoSciences on
something called a 'Variance Quadtree' algorithm[1]. The main idea is to
recursively partition an image into smaller and smaller rectangles, based on
the amount of variance within each rectangle. Thus, regions of more variation
get split into smaller nested rectangles.

The source code for the algorithm is given in Matlab source[2]. I have tried
unsuccessfully to port the code to R, mostly because I do not completely
understand several of the matlab matrix idioms used in the code.

I think that a C version of the algorithm, along with some minor modifications
to convert the quadtree structure into GRASS vectors (similar to what
v.surf.rst can output) would be a nice addition to imagery analysis in GRASS.

Anyone want to give some pointers / help on porting this to C? The algorithm
is relatively simple, however some of the matlab-specific matrix operations
may be a challenge.

1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2006.08.009
2. http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/agric/acpa/software/matlab/vqt_matlab.zip

Cheers,