[GRASS-dev] porting r.in.wms to python

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 20:57:20 EDT 2008

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Also, should we change windows_launch.bat to invoke Python on the
> scripts, or just install the scripts with a .py extension and add .PY
> to PATHEXT?

windows_launch.bat was only needed because there was no way to persuade
Tcl on Windows to execute any files that did not have a .exe, .com or .bat
extension. It didn't respect PATHEXT or anything similar. But
windows_launch.bat turned out to be a neat way of handling things. However if
(1) Python respects PATHEXT and
(2) PATHEXT as a method of executing scripts is reliable
then I'm sure that would a good way of doing it and would be one less
thing to go wrong. As long as they could be installed without the .py
extension on Unix platforms I suppose.

On the other hand, for the PATHEXT method to work does Python have to be
officially "installed" on Windows in some manner? If it does that might
preclude just including the Python interpreter as part of a GRASS binary
distribution, which someone might want to do.

I suppose I should really install Python on Windows and see if I can give
a better answer.

Paul