[GRASS-dev] Re: thematic mapping scripts

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Oct 6 12:40:42 EDT 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 9:00 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org
 > wrote:

> Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:19:38 +0200
> From: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] porting r.in.wms to python
> To: hamish_b at yahoo.com
> Cc: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>,	grass-dev
> 	<grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On 06/10/08 04:16, Hamish wrote:
>> Glynn wrote:
>>> 	d.vect.thematic  (d.mon)
>>
>> (somewhat replaced d.thematic.area,v.class?  any thoughts Moritz/
>> Michael?)
>
> d.thematic.area works for me, but I have not had any testing feedback
> from anyone else.
> I still need to finish "d.thematic.points_and_lines" (still need to
> find
> a good name for it, or split it into two d.thematic.points and
> d.thematic.lines). Probably "just" a 1-2 days job for me (1-2 hours
> for
> others ;-) ), but I need a full stretch of time to be able to
> concentrate on it, and this is a very rare commodity in my life at
> this
> time (and has been for a while).

I've tried working with the thematic area C-module. I think the last
time I tried it, I hit a bug, Moritz fixed it, and I haven't had a
chance to try it again. This is much preferable over the very complex
bash script I wrote and others have enhanced. As Moritz says, it needs
testing and the points/lines version needs to be finished. Porting the
existing script is not terribly hard (though it would be time
consuming) and the display section needs rewriting to deal with the
demise of d.mon.

However, the C-modules are better and should replace the script.

Michael