[GRASS-dev] GAL Framework

Radek Bartoň xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Oct 8 09:31:15 EDT 2008

Hello GRASS-dev.

Some time passed and I have finished my master degree project called a GAL
Framework. For those who don't remember what it was about or didn't read my
introductory e-mail, here is brief description:

The GAL Framework tries to be an abstraction layer over GRASS core libraries
to support development of new modules using OOP, component architecture and
RPC based multiprocessing. It also uses SWIG for Python and Java bindings
generation to allow development of modules in these programming languages. C#
support is planned too. It uses D-Bus for communication and thus it can be
considered as high-level D-Bus API (in context of D-Bus terminology).

Althought my master's work is finished, project is in stage of conception
desing with prototype implementation and lot of other evolvement has to be
done to transform the framwork to useable state. Actual state of the project
was presented on this year of Geoinformatics FCE CTU seminar [1]. Some other
information, design documents and screenshots are placed at project's
homepage [2]. More technical explanation is present in master's degree paper
[3].

The future of the library now depends on interest of you, the community. I'd
be happy to recieve any comments on desing and implementation as far as
propositions on possible ways of growth. Please read a little about my
project if you are interested and give me back any note you can.

But for the near future, I'd like to help with own GRASS GIS development.
We've discussed that a little with Martin Landa on the seminar and I think
that there are three areas where I'd like to contribute:

First, I'd like to port GRASS on Neo FreeRunner smart phone which I'm proud
owner of. Firstly without any user interface, only manage to compile GRASS
CLI modules for it. Then develop small touch screen friendly user interface
with raster and vector layer and GPS data display support only.	 I've written
up bachelour project theme for this but I don't expect much interest form
students on this subject.

Then I could help to improve new nviz module which is Martin working on since
I'm oriented mainly on computer graphics and visualization.

Or update Python SWIG interface because I get quite good experience with SWIG
during GAL Framework programming and also because I believe in Python support
importance.

Thank you for your responses...

[1] -
http://geoinformatics.fsv.cvut.cz/wiki/index.php/GAL_Framework_-_Current_State_of_the_Project
[2] - http://gal-framework.no-ip.org
[3] - http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/DP/rpfile.php?id=5989

--
Ing. Radek Bartoň

Faculty of Information Technology
Department of Computer Graphics and Multimedia
Brno University of Technology

E-mail: xbarto33 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Web: http://blackhex.no-ip.org
Jabber: blackhex at jabber.cz