[GRASS-dev] problem compiling grass7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Oct 13 10:38:42 EDT 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 1:52 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:52:41 +0200
> From: "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] problem compiling grass7
> To: "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> 2008/10/13 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:
>> I'm not sure why it's failing in this particular case. I don't get
>> any
>> errors building that that file (or any other HTML file),
>> pngdriver.html hasn't changed in over a month, and I checked for any
>> broken HTML files within the last few days. Do you have any local
>> modifications?
>
> no, to be sure I have downloaded fresh code from SVN. Now I am getting
>
>    self.fmt(spec, content)
>  File "/home/martin/smetiste/grass_trunk/tools/g.html2man/
> g.html2man.py",
> line 229, in fmt
>    (pre,sep,post) = format.partition("@")
> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'partition'
>
> I am using python 2.4. Are we going to require python >= 2.5?

I would strongly suggest it now. Tracking the release schedule of an
actively developed language like Python is always a moving target, but
as long as GRASS 7 is in development, I think we should try to do so
within reason--because it will be much harder to do so once we have a
stable GRASS 7.

Python 2.6 is the current stable release and Python 3 is in beta. So I
think we are still being amply conservative by requiring >= 2.5.

Michael