[GRASS-dev] Re: grass-dev Digest, Vol 30, Issue 34

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Oct 14 10:19:31 EDT 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 3:13 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org
 > wrote:

> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:38:31 +0100
> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] removing gis.m from GRASS 7
> To: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Cc: grass-dev <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>

> Hamish wrote:
>
>>> The TclTk GUI is set to be abandoned in GRASS 7. It will continue to
>>> live in the GRASS 6 series.
>>
>> last call for objections before the Tcl/Tk gis.m is removed from
>> GRASS 7.
>> (trunk/gui/tcltk/)
>
> Not an objection, but is the wx GUI sufficient? Bear in mind that
> XDRIVER has already disappeared from 7.0, so the GUI is even more
> important in 7.0 than in 6.x.

TckTk has served GRASS well. However, AFAICT, wxPython can do more and
(in part due to changes in GUI design) is considerably faster. We
simply don't have the developer resources to support 2 GUI code bases.
(The GUI is not as modular as many other parts of GRASS and the size
of the code is much much larger.)

After Martin's Summer of Code project, porting nviz to wxPython, and
Glynn's work to port all relevant scripts, I think that everything
that needed TclTk is now in wxPython. There still needs to be a lot of
development and testing work, but many parts of the GUI are very
stable and more functional than their TclTk equivalents.

So I think that we can say a fond farewell to TclTk.

Michael