[GRASS-dev] robots.txt blocking grass 4/5 docs

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 28 04:30:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that now grass 4/5 docs are blocked from search engines by
> robots.txt.
>
> Is it really a good idea? there is some interesting info which is useful
> to mine from time to time. e.g. the old v.in.gshhs man page which is not
> present in grass 6.

Ok, we can discuss this but...

> AFAIR some of the old man pages were never fully "ported" to grass 6 and
> good info is only in the grass 5 pages. Often the new grass 6 version is
> very terse. I think there is some old RT bug/wish about that.

The problem is that page ranking brings up the old stuff on top
of common GRASS manual searches. This leads to people
believing that it is latest and greatest.

> so what's the bad behaviour that makes this necessary?

Try to search recent GRASS manual pages - almost impossible.
Also, grass.osgeo.org seems to have a pretty low page ranking
while disfunctional mirrors pop up on top.

Suggestions welcome (an feel free to revert the robots.txt change).

Markus