[GRASS-dev] r.colors confusion with "color", "rules", and "raster" options

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 02:04:34 EDT 2008

> > I know, I know.. but it is far from intuitive... any
> > ideas to improve this behaviour/docs?

I've just added some logic in 6.x SVN to more nicely handle different
user interpretations of the commands. "accept sloppy input, create
tight output" and all that. Sure 'color=rules rules=filename' is
redundant, but the intention is obvious. some people (especially those
unfamiliar) like to tick every box. if it doesn't hurt anything, let 'em.

I also backported the effect of rules=- meaning read from stdin.

> -rules: create new color table based on user-specified rules
> +rules: create new color table based on user-specified rules read from stdin

I reverted that as it is somewhat misleading. It can mean either read
directly from stdin or if no stream is waiting then to enter into the
interactive environment. traditionally (not to mention currently)
color=rules in grass 5/6 triggered the interactive environment prompt
and help menu. I see no reason to strongly push users to use the -i
flag instead of color=rules when both are removed in GRASS 7. Just
let the old way fade away gracefully in its own time without disrupting
users. Where's the gain in intentionally scuttling it early?

Hamish