[GRASS-dev] Re: Problem when loading GRASS 6 raster with large integer values into R via r.out.bin

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Sep 24 05:32:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Rainer M Krug wrote:

>> Roger:
>>> I'll try to do this using the existing ignore.stderr= in system(), but
>>> it may not stop everything.
>>
>> When possible it should utilize the --quiet and --verbose flags which all
>> GRASS modules listen for, or set the GRASS_VERBOSE environment variable
>> to the required level. Blindly throwing all stderr messages to /dev/null
>> should be a last resort, there may be something important there.
>
> I think that's a good idea - to use the same standard flags that GRASS
> is also using (including the --overwrite which would be nice to have
> in the writeRAST6 by the way).
> I will keep that approach in mind for other commands interfacing to GRASS.

Yes in principle, but do we know whether users are still on 6.2, or have
migrated to 6.3 and there is no further need to condition on feature
creep? Remember that the R/GRASS interface isn't GRASS, it's an interface.
I can look at reading the GRASS_VERBOSE shell variable and using it to set
verbosity if present. The -q versus --q change killed the tests/examples
when it happened, so I'd prefer conservatism (do nothing) to using GRASS
facilities that vary between GRASS versions.

Roger