[GRASS-dev] slow $PROMPT_COMMAND

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 02:55:43 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have noticed in the last week(s) in grass 6.4svn -text mode that there
is some ~250ms delay at the GRASS terminal when I hit <enter>. Restarting
in GRASS 6.3.0 the response is instant, as is the normal linux terminal
prompt.

The CPU monitor jumps to 100% for an instant, holding down <enter> stalls
the terminal after 10-15 lines or so as the CPU is pegged at 100%.

`top` tells me that g.gisenv is to blame.

PS1="G64svn:\W > "      # (set by .grass.bashrc)
PS2="> "
PS4="+ "

lib/init/prompt.sh  (given by $PROMPT_COMMAND) hasn't changed in 2 years.
I don't see any highly suspicious changes to g.gisenv/main.c.
Was it some change in libgis then?

"unset PROMPT_COMMAND" fixes it of course.

what gives?

Hamish