[GRASS-dev] porting r.in.wms to python

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 28 17:30:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

before anyone spends any time porting r.in.wms/r.tileset to python, I
would suggest that it be substantially rewritten from the ground up,
requiring GDAL 1.5+'s WMS import filter instead of our own brittle
wget/curl solution. This requires writing a small XML template with the
pararms: http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html

The tile mosaic nightmare for paletted images might be outsourced to
GDAL's gdal_merge.py:
  http://www.gdal.org/gdal_merge.html
(ie merge then import, not the other way around)

I assume python has some great built in libexpat stuff for managing XML.
This could really help with the download list available capabilities,
again the current self-parsing works, but is pushing the boundaries of
what a bash script should be asked to do (and it shows).

Hopefully the thing can be greatly simplified in the process.

The current solution mostly works, but maintaining it feels a bit like a
game of whack-a-mole.

Perhaps there is some overlap with v.in.wfs as well? (currently relies on
lynx, which I guess is not commonly installed with MS-Windows..)

Hamish