[GRASS-dev] Re: Looking for information

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Sep 30 10:09:59 EDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 2:57 AM, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 30/09/08 05:46, Rudolf Pasaribu wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> My name is Rudolf from Indonesia and I would like to ask few
>> question regarding GIS application. At the moment I am using Mac
>> Computer and my friend who is working in Geology interested to use
>> Mac laptop. However, there are few things he was concerned whether
>> he can still use Arc Gis from ESRI on Mac or should he use native
>> GIS software for Mac.
>> From the website I knew that Grass GIS is native for Mac but
>> whether the program compatible with ArcGIS software or not is not
>> clear to me. So, these the questions I would like to know:
>> 1. Would be possible to convert all ArcGIS data to Grass GIS like
>> open file Word created in Windows in Mac? If yes, is there any
>> change appear on Grass GIS of the data or would it be open as what
>> it appeared in ArcGIS?
>
> No, you cannot just open ArcGIS data concerning layout, etc.
> Accessing data from an ArcGIS Geodatabase is possible if your ogr
> file transformation library is configured accordingly (don't know
> what the situation is on Mac).

It's theoretically possible.  I haven't had much luck getting the
mdbtools working on OSX - it compiles (with some hacking), but doesn't
work.  There is a commercial (but inexpensive) iODBC plugin for OSX
(that is mdbtools-based) that almost works, but it has a critical BLOB
bug that makes it useless.  I've registered an bug with the author,
but have not seen a fix in the past few updates.

That's for personal geodatabases.

For old-fashioned coverages, it's possible - GDAL/OGR has that built
in, so you can directly convert those into GRASS.

> The easiest way to get data from ArcGIS to GRASS is to export to
> shapefile and reimport to GRASS. You will, however, loose all
> layouting, table links, etc.
>
>> 2. Is there  GPS that can work with Mac? Like Garmin, which type/
>> model?
>
> Not sure, but I would think that any USB device should be usable, so
> you might need a serial-to-usb converter...

See gpsbabel.org for info.  gpsbabel is used by GRASS.  It also has a
Garmin-only script that uses some Garmin tools (gardump or gpstrans).
I include gpsbabel and gardump in my OSX binaries.

I've heard of success with gpsbabel on OSX, but I'm not sure about
gardump.

For serial-based GPS units, a serial-usb converter works (I verified
that a few years ago, but not recently, and not directly with GRASS).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect