[GRASS-dev] GDAL/Proj modules role in Grass

kavitesh.singh at wipro.com kavitesh.singh at wipro.com
Wed Apr 8 07:52:47 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I am beginner at learning GRASS and was trying to understand the overall
architecture of GRASS using various libraries like GDAL/PROJ etc.

I wanted to know how GDAL and PROJ library fit into GRASS for raster
processing of maps?

I would like to verify my understanding of GDAL with my current reading
for raster format like JPEG,BMP

1.    It is used for geo-referencing any raster image by providing the
corner file data. Does the geo-referencing internally call PROJ library
to reference according to any particular datum?

2.    The input to the GDAL can be any raster format like BMP, GeoTIFF,
TIFF, PNG etc. What would be the output format GDAL produces after it
manipulates the original raster image.

3.    Once the output is generated, is it available for processing in
the memory or it produces some file which is later read by GRASS for
visualization?

4.    I wanted to know how GRASS uses the geo-referenced raster image
for display. Is it using some 3rd party library or has developed a
display panel specific to GIS needs.

5.    It is my understanding that GRASS data output directory is not
related to GDAL/PROJ. This is native GRASS format and the GRASS engine
displays the data on the panel using some inbuilt functions.

Please excuse me, if the questions have been asked before also. I would
appreciate any help in this regard.

Regards,

Kavitesh Singh

www.wipro.com