[GRASS-dev] Programming in GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 08:54:04 EDT 2009

dasuni kannangara wrote:
> Thanks. But i am developing a tool using GRASS source
> codes. So i need to open the whole GRASS project (source
> codes) and study the codes (functions etc). I am looking for
> an IDE which i can open the whole project and debug(such as
> Visual Studio in Microsoft).

I am curious to know if any of the current devels use an IDE
for grass? personally I just use nedit for normal stuff and vi
for minor|major tasks, and make from the command line. debug
using printf, gdb, and/or kdbg depending on how evil it is.
works well for me.

does emacs count as an IDE or would that be insulting its power?

> Are there such IDEs available???

#debian/lenny package search:
$ apt-cache search IDE | wc -l
8882

well mostly false positives in there I'm sure, but you get the
idea. open source is rather unsurprisingly well blessed with
tools for programmers.

#more realistic
$ apt-cache search editor | wc -l
609

A search for " IDE " returns 43 hits.

"Eclipse" is mainly for Java AFAICT, but it most likely will
handle C too. seems popular in the press.

good luck,
Hamish