[GRASS-dev] Programming in GRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Apr 9 11:29:06 EDT 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 5:57 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org
 > wrote:

> From: Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
> Date: April 9, 2009 5:54:04 AM GMT-07:00
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org, dasuni kannangara <dasuni7 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Programming in GRASS
>

> dasuni kannangara wrote:
>> Thanks. But i am developing a tool using GRASS source
>> codes. So i need to open the whole GRASS project (source
>> codes) and study the codes (functions etc). I am looking for
>> an IDE which i can open the whole project and debug(such as
>> Visual Studio in Microsoft).
>
> I am curious to know if any of the current devels use an IDE
> for grass? personally I just use nedit for normal stuff and vi
> for minor|major tasks, and make from the command line. debug
> using printf, gdb, and/or kdbg depending on how evil it is.
> works well for me.
>
> does emacs count as an IDE or would that be insulting its power?
>

>> Are there such IDEs available???
>
> #debian/lenny package search:
> $ apt-cache search IDE | wc -l
> 8882
>
> well mostly false positives in there I'm sure, but you get the
> idea. open source is rather unsurprisingly well blessed with
> tools for programmers.
>
> #more realistic
> $ apt-cache search editor | wc -l
> 609
>
> A search for " IDE " returns 43 hits.
>
> "Eclipse" is mainly for Java AFAICT, but it most likely will
> handle C too. seems popular in the press.
>

> good luck,
> Hamish

Dasuni,

Both Editra (with a plugin) and Komodo support defining the GRASS
source tree as a project (i.e., as in Eclipse). Editra now has some
limited SVN capabilities built in as well as an interactive terminal
window for testing code (may be limited to Python).

Hamish,

I use an IDE for gui development. It makes it work much easier. I'm
using Editra currently because it has some nice tools especially for
Python. OpenEclipse is fine, but pretty large and klunky since I don't
do Java and don't need all of it's bells and whistles and other
gadgets. Komodo has a lot of nice features, but I miss the integrated
terminal and SVN tools that come in Editra now. And Editra is being
rapidly improved on. It seems like I'm alerted to an update every
month or so. All of the above come with autocompletion and syntax
checking (as well as coloring) in multiple platforms, auto indenting
(a MUST in Python), bookmarking, folding, and other niceties. Another
IDE for Python is SPE. It has a lot of very nice Python-oriented
features and layouts (e.g., Glade for rapid wxPython development), but
I didn't need them all and it seemed sluggish. I tried NetBeans awhile
back. It didn't do much for me, but one of my students says that it
has been considerably improved lately.

Michael