[GRASS-dev] what dependencies does GRASS actually need to run?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Apr 15 11:40:03 EDT 2009

On 15/04/09 17:13, Michael Barton wrote:
> It would be useful to know for binary installations which dependencies
> that GRASS actually needs to *run* as a binary (i.e., not dependencies
> needed to compile).
>
> AFAICT, it must have PROJ and PROJ requires GDAL (though I don't think
> GRASS requires GDAL)

r.*.gdal, v.*.ogr require GDAL...

> Some other dependencies may be for specific I/O
>
> Anything else it needs just to run if is is already a compiled binary?

Well, that kind of depends on how you compile it, i.e. the configure
statement before compilation.

AFAIK, most libraries used in GRASS (including the system libraries) are
used as dynamic libraries, so you need those. It also depends on what
parts of GRASS you want to use, as, for example, the gdal example shows.
nviz has specific requirements and so do some other modules.

As an example, check the required packages for the installation of the
GRASS Debian package:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/grass

Not all of these packages are actually required to run the grass binary,
as long as you don't use all of the modules.

Moritz