[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #73: r.out.gdal tiff output does not work

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 15 15:52:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 18:30 +0000, GRASS GIS wrote:
> #73: r.out.gdal tiff output does not work
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  helena       |       Owner:  grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>       Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
>  Component:  Raster       |     Version:  svn-trunk
> Resolution:               |    Keywords:  r.out.gdal, tiff
>   Platform:  Unspecified  |         Cpu:  Unspecified
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
> Comment (by mlennert):
>
>  Replying to [comment:42 helena]:
>  > All I really tried to do was convert the nc_spm raster data into
>  something readable
>  > by other software tools and r.out.gdal worked but some rasters were not
>  readable
>  > or came out black so it required change in color table etc. (e.g., in
>  ArcGIS, gimp).
>  > We ended up using r.out.arc - and lost the color tables and projection
>  info but otherwise it worked fine.
>
>  Just out of curiosity: how is losing color table and projection info
>  (r.out.arc) better than just a lost color table (r.out.gdal) ?

 the file produced by r.in.arc displayed OK right away with Arc default
table so people who got the file were able to work with it although they
did not get the same colors as were assigned in GRASS.
The r.out.gdal result displayed black and unless you knew what was going
on and how to change the table it was difficult to deal with - the file
just looked broken because it would display black in other viewers too.
This might have been fixed though, I just cannot get around to test it,

Helena