[GRASS-dev] PROJ csv files sync GDAL -> GRASS?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Apr 19 15:17:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

while checking if the .csv files in lib/proj/ need their regular sync
with GDAL, Frank and me wondered if we do need these files at all
(still) being present in GRASS.

Changelog of lib/proj/gcs.csv says:
       * : Updates for proj library and g.proj to read projection
           information from various sources

But apparently nothing reads these files? Or yes?

[neteler at host550 proj]$ grep csv *.c
convert.c:#include <cpl_csv.h>
convert.c:#define CSVDIR "/etc/ogr_csv"
convert.c:    /* Set finder function for locating OGR csv co-ordinate
system tables */
convert.c:    SetCSVFilenameHook(GPJ_set_csv_loc);
convert.c:      /* Set finder function for locating OGR csv
co-ordinate system tables */
convert.c:      SetCSVFilenameHook(GPJ_set_csv_loc);
convert.c:/* GPJ_set_csv_loc()
convert.c:const char *GPJ_set_csv_loc(const char *name)

mhh:

convert.c:#define CSVDIR "/etc/ogr_csv"
convert.c:    G_asprintf(&buf, "%s%s/%s", gisbase, CSVDIR, name);

and convert.c:
/* GRASS relative location of OGR co-ordinate system lookup tables */
#define CSVDIR "/etc/ogr_csv"

At this point I am unsure... also which files are really needed (there are
new CSV files in GDAL now, data/ directory; we always omitted S57).

Ideally we would just use those from GDAL. Asking Frank in IRC how to
obtain the related GDAL directory, he suggested:

"There is a function (CPLFindFile()) to find particular files.
 If you really need a directory, you could likely search for a GDAL only
 file, and strip the result down to a directory path"

I.e.,
const char *    CPLFindFile (const char *pszClass, const char *pszBasename)
http://www.gdal.org/cpl__conv_8h.html

I presume that we could seek for "gcs.csv" and then dirname() it.

What do you think?

Markus