[GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 19:01:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

2008/8/11 Maciej Sieczka <tutey at o2.pl>:

[...]

> (A "table" is an object in the database that stores the given "layer"'s
> attributes, and the "table" and "layer"'s geometrical features are
> linked using "key column" in which the "categories" are stored inside
> the "table".)
>
> Regarding Moritz's remark I indeed missed the fact that the vector map
> having 0 or more "layers" does not directly imply it has the same number
> of data "tables". Given that, "table link" to replace "layer" as I
> suggested is bad. If we are to change the term, we should do it right.
> How do you like "category set" then, "catset" in short? Together with
> with replacing term vector "map" with vector "layer" it would yield:
>
> Each vector "feature" (line, point etc.) can have 0 or more "categories"
> in a vector "layer". Each "category" belongs to only 1 "category set".
> Each "category set" of a vector "layer" can be connected or not with a
> single database "table". The "key column" in that "table" stores the
> "categories" of "features" present in the given "category set".

after some time I am going to re-open this topic... I have summarized
the proposals on the wiki

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_7_Terminology#Vector_layer

>From my point of view, I would suggest to use "category set" (catset)
as replacement for 'layer'.

Please feel free to put here your suggestions. It would be good to
close this topic soon. Then I can start changing terminology in GRASS
7.

Best regards, Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa