[GRASS-dev] NVIZ X11 Interface

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at OpenOSX.com
Tue Apr 28 20:29:43 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I just built 6.4.0 RC4 here on Mac OS X without a single error - nice!
The new interface is very snappy, stable and responsive compared to
6.3.0 - I am nothing but impressed. Nice work everyone!

I just spoke with an Apple representative who was interested in
showing GRASS GIS on stage for at this years WWDC (World Wide
Developers Conference) in June to show a real time data 3D
visualization.

When I informed him that the 3D visualization still required X11 he
quickly lost interest. This would have been huge opportunity for world
wide exposure to GRASS GIS.

Are there any plans to make a Python or Cocoa interface for NVIZ going
forward? Is it possibly part of the GRASS 7 roadmap?

I have been doing a lot of OpenGL programming for Mac OS X lately, so
it might be something I could help with. Seems like the OpenGL code
works fine, I would just have to port the interface. Any comments?

Best,

Jeshua Lacock, Owner
<http://OpenOSX.com>
phone: 877.240.1364