[GRASS-dev] Remaining shell scripts

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Aug 3 04:25:43 EDT 2009

On 02/08/09 04:38, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> I very much agree with Markus on this -
>
> Helena
>
> On Jul 5, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> The absence of the too-good-to-lose d.mon/d.rast/d.vect/d.zoom/d.what.*
>> keeps me away from using daily GRASS 7 :)
>> cmd line control for the wx displays would be cool.

Note that you can still use the d.* commands in combination with any
image viewer (I've had good experience with gqview, for exemple, but any
viewer which refreshes on file changes will do) or with Glynn's ximgview
[1] which reacts much faster to changes then gqview, "but" for which you
have to create bmp files. None of this allows d.* manipulation of the
GUI Map Display, but it mirrors the x-mons. You can even have several
such "monitors" by creating different file with export GRASS_PNGFILE and
calling several instances of ximgview (or another viewer of your choice)
to display the different files.

It should not be too hard to create wrapper scripts which emulate some
sort of d.mon behaviour, possibly storing the image files in a
temporary, hidden directory to keep things transparent.

Moritz

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2008-October/040589.html