[GRASS-dev] Re: About the vector changes

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:47:35 EDT 2009

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Vector maps no longer work:
>
> $ v.info fields
> ERROR: Spatial index was written with LFS but this GRASS version does not
>        support LFS. Try to rebuild topology or upgrade GRASS.

Can't reproduce. This was fields from spearfish I assume. Without
building topo I get

ERROR: Unable to open vector map <fields at PERMANENT> on level 2. Try to
rebuild vector topology by v.build.

So I do
v.build map=fields
v.info fields now produces standard output
> Is this intentional? If so, can existing maps be converted, or do I
> need to download new versions?

This should only happen for very large vectors where off_t of size 8 is
needed to read/write the sidx file which is obviously not the case for
fields. Ideally this error would go away if you rebuild topo.
> BTW, spidx_port.off_t_size is 42, so the issue is that the code
> expects the new format, not that sizeof(off_t) is wrong.

Weird, spidx_port.off_t_size should be 4 or 8, and 8 is only used when
necessary, same like for reading/writing topo. I haven't included some
debug info on spidx_port.off_t_size, so I guess you have added that
yourself? Maybe a good idea, it's already there in dig_Rd_Plus_head()
for reading topo. Can you also report sizeof(off_t)? That could help me
tracking down the bug.
> Also, lib/vector/diglib doesn't actually enable LFS; the Makefile
> needs:
>
> ifneq ($(USE_LARGEFILES),)
> 	EXTRA_CFLAGS = -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> endif

No, because this is set system-wide in Grass.make
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/include/Make/Grass.make#L82
because not only the library but also all modules including vector.h
must have 64bit enabled. Instead of adding the appropriate lines to each
single Makefile I decided to set it system-wide, that also avoids
problems with addon modules. It worked so far on Linux 32bit and Linux
64bit. What platform are you using? I hesitate to ask, but have you made
funny changes to your local copy?

A bit confused,

Markus M