[GRASS-dev] trac #637: spaces in path names (wx + tcl)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Aug 14 22:18:22 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:

> I take it the wxGUI use of 'v.db.connect -g' still should explicitly
> set the fs='|' and split() on that instead of space?

Yes.

> Also Tcl/Tk versions of same still need attention / testing /
> backporting:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/log/grass/branches/develbranch_6/gui/tcltk/gis.m
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/38295
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/38296
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/38426
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/38427
>

> and in general C code,
>  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/38436

The dbmscap fix is in the wrong place. Any quoting should be done
within db_start_driver() (and the Unix version shouldn't be using the
shell; there's no need for it).

More generally, most of those quoting fixes are bogus. The solution is
to use G_spawn() rather than using the shell. Using the shell is a
bug; quoting is just a workaround.