[GRASS-dev] gmath/gpde Patch for grass6.5 and grass7

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 15:39:35 EDT 2009

Hello Glynn,
thanks for your suggestions.  More below ...

2009/8/18 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>

> > > The LGPL explicitly permits relicensing to GPL:
> > >
> > >        3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU
> > >        General Public License instead of this License to a given
> > >        copy of the Library. <snip>
> > >

> > I do not understand. What to do now?
> > Will we keeping the LGPL??
>
> I don't particularly mind, but I do think that we need to be careful
> about contributions.

Ok, i fully agree.

> When the overall project is licensed under the GPL, it's reasonable to
> assume that any contributions are also licensed under the GPL. If
> someone contributes changes to a file which happens to be LGPL, they
> might have actually intended to license their contribution under the
> LGPL, or they might have just overlooked that the file in question is
> LGPL. Also, it means that you can't copy or move code from another
> part of GRASS into that library.

1.) I can extend the SUBMISSION file to explain that any new numerical or
mathematical code belongs into the grass gmath or gpde libraries. The ccmath
lib is connected to grass via a wrapper in the gmath lib. Only the wrapper
(a single C file) includes the ccmath header. The gmath header only knows
the wrapper functions. So nobody should include the ccmath header directly
besides the wrapper.

2.) We can make a guideline that only bug-fixing is allowed in the ccmath
library (README.txt in ccmath dir). The grass ccmath part must be compatible
with the 2.2.1 version of ccmath to enable external linking. IMHO i in the
near future nobody will contribute to the ccmath part in grass, because the
code is hardly readable and not easy to maintain.

3.) I can place an ATTENTION.txt file in the ccmath library folder, which
explains the licensing issue.

If this is ok, i would like to submit my changes to svn.

Best regards
Soeren