[GRASS-dev] color tables

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 02:22:08 EDT 2009

Helena wrote:
> I often get a question why there aren't images of color tables
> in GRASS GUI along with their names. Is this technically feasible?
> Or it is already there and I just don't see it?

I don't think it's there.

> I am thinking about adding them to the r.colors man page, but first I

IMhO these sorts of things should go in the wiki, not the man page.
Anything but simple PNG figures add a huge amount to the bulk of the
SVN and .tar.gz release sizes.

> would like to ask whether somebody has done this already (or has a
> script to do it).
> I was thinking about running something like this through all color
> tables
>
> set GRASS_WIDTH=50 and GRASS_HEIGHT=100
> r.colors elev co=ryg
> d.colortable elev
> d.out.file ryg_col
> d.erase
> convert -rotate 90 ryg_col

I have made a little script which does the trick, I'll post it to
the wiki shortly at  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Raster_color_tables

Hamish