[GRASS-dev] Shell scripts

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 2 17:31:04 EST 2009

Martin,

I certainly understand that the way the command line interface is
currently constructed. The user enters commands into the text box at
the bottom and the output is sent to the styled text control at the top.

The discussion has been about how to improve the command-line
experience of users who prefer this. I suggested two ways:

1) dispense with the GUI and its code altogether for such users, and
just use the system terminal. In that case, render maps to graphics
files that are displayed in a simple viewer.
2) enhance the current command interface in the GUI to make it work
more like a terminal.

My diff shows how to implement option 2. When entering commands in the
system terminal, the same window is used for input and output. There
is a scrolling history of commands entered and any text returned as a
result of those commands. The diff makes the styled text window--
currently used for output only--into such a terminal-like window.
Commands can be entered and output received in the same window. The
user can place the cursor on any command, hit enter, and run that
command regardless of where it is in the window. Commands and output
are ordered by when they are executed. Users can copy and paste from
any part of the window to any other part. This is sort of like the
terminal in R except that it also can run shell commands or any non-
interactive command that can be entered from a terminal.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

Phone: 480-965-6262